Activities from and around Hyclass Ocean Campground.
Grocery & Liquor/Beer
Atlantic Superstore & Sobeys – Antigonish & Port Hawkesbury
Walmart – Antigonish & Port Hawkesbury
Petro Canada – Monastery serves liquor/beer
NSLC – Nova Scotia Liquor Control
Gabrieau’s Bistro – Antigonish
Mother Webbs on Trans Canada 104 east of Antigonish
Brownstone Cafe, Antigonish
Boston Pizza, Pizza Delight, Kenny’s Pizza, The Wheel
Main Street Cafe @ Maritime Inn, Antigonish
Justamere Cafe @ Claymore Inn
Auld’s Cove – Ocean view restaurant located at the Cove Motel called Mariner’s Dining (short distance away from campground)
Port Hastings – Hearthstone Inn
Port Hawkesbury – Fleur de Lis Tea Room and Dining Room, Papa’s Pub, Miller’s Tap & Grill back of the Maritime Inn
*Please note these are only some of the restaurants.
Each summer in mid-July, Antigonish is home to the oldest Scottish Highland Games held outside of Scotland. Be sure to take in the piping, dance, and strength competitions. You can also listen to Ceilidh and musical events in the area. Here are some additional music festivals in the area:
- Chestico Days – Port Hood
- Granville Green – Port Hawkesbury
- Stan Rogers – Canso
- Codstock Festival – Arichat
- Broad Cove Scottish Concert – Broad Cove, Cape Breton
- The Jubilee – New Glasgow
- Festival of Cape Breton Fiddling – St.Ann’s, Cape Breton
- Margaree Highland Games – Margaree
- Celtic Colors – Cape Breton
Professional Live Theatre all summer long in Antigonish from May to September.
You don’t have to leave the campground to bird watch as more than 30 kinds have been seen ranging from hummingbirds to bald eagles to great blue herons. For a reference guide of birds common to Nova Scotia, visit Birds of Nova Scotia.
There are several challenging courses in the area: • Cabot Links – Inverness • Highland Links Ingonish • Antigonish Golf and Country Club – Antigonish • Osprey Shores Golf Resort – Guysborough • Dundee Resort & Golf Club – West Bay
Hyclass Campground has its own beach so bring a pair of aqua shoes to play in the water. We also have a volleyball net by the ocean and horseshoes. If you are looking to adventure to other beaches in the area, you can check out: • Barrio Beach • Cape Jack Beach
If you are looking for a spot to try your luck at catching some fish here is a list of some popular fishing locations in the area and some of the types of fish you will find on your line: • Bayfield Wharf – Mackerel, Squid • Canso Causeway – Mackerel, Squid
Guides and Charters near Antigonish for Wild Tuna
Anglers Handbook for all the legal information on fishing licenses, fees, and regulations in our beautiful province of Nova Scotia.
We have kayaks, pedal boats and canoes available for rent at the campground so that you can explore Linwood Harbour Bay.
- Our Lady of Grace Monastery is located a short 5 minute drive from the campground
- For racing fans, Riverside International Speedway is located approx. 40 minutes away
- Fortress of Louisbourg, the largest historical reconstruction in Canada, is located 1 hour away in Cape Breton
- Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck is approx. 90 min drive away
- The world famous Cabot Trail is about a 60 minute drive while the Cape Breton Highlands National Park are approx. a 90 minute drive from the campground